Thursday, September 4, 2008

Told you love is love is love wherever it is...


Got to watch two Thai queer films - Bangkok Love Story and Love of Siam. While I would have preferred a happier ending, I'd have to say that I really liked both film for the simple fact that films touching on the lives of a segment of the population pushed to the margins are able to make it to the big screen.

That and the fact that both films do not portray a stereotyped image of the queer guy. Unlike in this country where I don't understand why the film industry keeps on portraying only one image of the queer guy. Hay, I'm not even going to start on that.

Bangkok Love Story is often described as the Asian Brokeback Mountain because of its many similarities to the Ang Lee film, but BLS directory says that he's had the story of BLS even before Brokeback Mountain came out. I thoroughly enjoyed the cinematography. I also enjoyed the acting to a certain. But there are some parts of the film which I think just doesn't fit that well. I mean it's good that the film showed something about AIDS (again, another topic that's constantly shushed on this side of the world) but I don't quite understand how it fits in the story. As for the lead characters, this is the first time I've seen both act and I think they were okay. Chaiwat Tongsang is whew! He kind of reminds me of Ram Sagad. I can see a strong resemblance. What else? Although the story of the two ended the way it did, I'm glad that there was a "---- years later" scene added at the end. That sort of made things better.

Love of Siam, on the other hand, is also something I enjoyed. If not for the language, I would have thought that the setting was in Manila and that the actors were Filipino. From what I've been reading, the film brought home several awarsd from various Thai movie award giving bodies. Both actors did well and Mario Maurer is really cute, eh. Haha! The film was quite long though. Running time is about 150 minutes. The story is something LGBTs could probably relate to because it talks about childhood friendships, growing up, getting bullied in school for being different, trying to find out the truth about oneself, first kiss, first love, first heartbreak. Again, I would have wanted a happier ending, but the ending given by the director also make the film closer to reality. Love of Siam, I love.

This is one of the reasons why I love the Internet. If not for the Internet, I wouldn't know about these films. I wouldn't know about the lives of fellows from a different country. I wouldn't have the beliefs I have today on what it is to be who I am. I can't imagine living in a society that's extremely oppressive and marginalizing. I guess I have to be thankful that there have been some improvements, but there are times when I think about moving to somewhere else where you wouldn't have to watch your every move. Not that I still do that. But maybe for others.

Again, another topic. Go see BLS and LOS if you can. I think I'm liking Thai films. I got to watch Beautiful Boxer and Iron Ladies and I also enjoyed those. What I'm still looking for though is Rainbow Boys based on the Alex Sanchez novel. A Thai production house made the film but all I can't find is a trailer of the film. Does anyone have a copy of the entire film?

1 comment:

  1. Well, many are affected with this movie (LOS). I downloaded a copy of it on the net as well. It was so touching that I always keep a portion of my memories to remember it each day! It was like a caffeine to me that makes me affect! Definitely, LOS, I will not forget for the rest of my life! Why? It touches my heart.

    -Obnoxious Queer

    ReplyDelete