Sunday, February 21, 2010

Brought home a "Birkin" last night...

Photobucket

Eat your heart out!

I brought home a Birkin last night. A Birkin and a lady I would happily switch teams for in a heartbeat! Haha!

Work colleagues and I arrived in Manila from Nasugbu around 7 in the. Since I didn't want to go home yet because I was scared of Saturday night traffic, I decided to go see Valentine's Day first. Most of my colleagues already had plans except for Haydee. She was flying back to Davao today . Since her hotel was near the mall, I asked if she wanted to go see the movie.

While waiting for screening time, we hung out at the Fully Booked in GB 5. I haven't been to a bookstore for quite some time now. Before, I used to spend an entire half day in Powerbooks or Fully Booked. I would lose track of time because I would be so engrossed into the books.

The last books I bought were Tommy's Tale by Alan Cumming from Books for Less and Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella from Fully Booked. Yeah, I'm a sucker for LGBT lit and chick lit. Haha! Friend Haydee is also a huge fan of the written world. Every time she's in Manila, she makes it a point to visit a bookstore and she would rarely, rarely leave the bookstore without any purchase.

Last night, she took home Anita Shreve and Maya Angelou. I wasn't really planning on getting any but I decided to browse while waiting for Haydee to finish her book shopping. That's when I saw the two books above. I didn't have any money with me so I'm really happy that Haydee agreed to spot for me.

I'm excited to read both.

I already started with Angie's travel notes. It's an interesting read because the book content was taken from her journals written during her UNHCR trips to Cambodia, Africa, Pakistan and Ecuador. I've always, always loved Angelina Jolie because of her humanitarian work. To some it may appear false. But I believe in her work. Because if she weren't doing it sincerely, she wouldn't do it over and over again. Add to that the fact that some of the places she visits put her at risk - Afghanistan, for example.

The other title, Bringing Home the Birkin, was written by Michael Tonello and is also an interesting read because he recounts his search for the elusive Birkin. "It's not a bag. It's a Birkin." goes one line from an episode of Sex and the City. I've seen another book cover of the title ages ago but I didn't buy it because it was pretty expensive. When I finally had the money and went back for the book, it was no longer there. So now that I stumbled upon the title again (though different cover), I already went ahead and got it. Yey!

I saw some other titles that I want to get but they're really, really bloody expensive. Augh! I want to get In Praise of Women: Anita Magsaysay-Ho, but it's P4,000! I have to save up for it. Huhuhu! It sucks that some of the book titles I want are so expensive. I want a Tom Ford title that came out years ago but the book cost as much as a round trip airfare to Singapore. Ugh!

It also sucks that there is no LGBT section anymore in Powerbooks or NBS. I remember I was really happy when NBS started having a LGBT lit section. It was good that I got to buy several titles for my collection. I kind of expected that the section would eventually be removed. I just dunno if the decision was influenced by anti-gay groups. Hay!

Anyway, reading is something I want to (I have to) do again. I should squeeze in a chapter or two in my daily schedule. I envy people who can read so many titles in a week. Good for them. I wish I could do the same. But I don't think I can give up spinning and Reagan just so I can have Michael Thomas Ford or David Stukas on a Tuesday night. Hehe!

What was the last book you read?

4 comments:

  1. i'm currently reading Have A Little Faith by Mitch Albom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lemme know what you think of angie's book. i was eyeing it the other day. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. as for the last book i read, i don't even remember. i'm in the middle of three books! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for buying my book, and for reading. I hope that you enjoy it.
    Greetings from Barcelona!
    michael tonello~

    ReplyDelete