Monday, February 15, 2010

V-Day with people who love what I also love...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

VDay was spent with individuals who taught me everything I know about volunteerism now.

Early this year, friend Marian sent an invite via Facebook to Pahinungod volunteers for a get-together at Dr. Menchit Padilla's house. I didn't reply to the message because I knew how erratic my schedule could be sometimes, but I followed the thread of the message. Several Pahinungods replied saying they were going to attend the get-together. That made the simple event something to look forward to since most of the people who said they were attending are people I haven't seen for a long time.

Fast forward to yesterday, the day of the get-together. I met up with Marian at Robinson's Galleria. I got her text that we would all meet up first at Galleria before heading to Dr. Padilla's house. Kamusta naman?! 11AM. It was just me and her. 1130AM. It still was just me and her. Hahaha! Many of those who said yes backed out. While the others already decided to go straight to Dr. Padilla's house.

A little waiting at Dr. Padilla's wonderful home and the cast was complete. I wasn't surprised with the attendees. They were the usual suspects. Hehe! Except for Andy who I haven't seen for a long time, everyone present were people I just saw at Marian's birthday. Hehe! It's always fun to see the group though because a good story exchange always happens. (and because when I’m with Pahinungod people, I am always reminded of how I love volunteering, and how I fell in love with volunteering years ago.)

Yesterday afternoon, the topic was mostly about the recent dramarama episodes of PGH. Obviously, I'm not familiar with what's happening at my former workplace but the stories I managed to hear are "good" enough to be made into a TV series. It'll beat any even the best eps of Grey's Anatomy. Hahaha!

Other than the PGH drama, we spent a good time catching up, talking about former Pahinungod volunteers. It was also nice to see Dr. Padilla outside of the office setting. Yesterday, she was more like Nigella Lawson and not Dr. Bailey. We rarely see that.

Dr. Padilla is one of the country's pioneers in genetics. Did you know that there are only seven (!!!) geneticists in the country??? One of them is Dr. Padilla. And she has done so much in that field.

A lot of Pahinungods look up to her and see her as an inspiration. She's just always full of contagious energy and ideas. Working for her is toxic. You don't know toxic until you've worked for CDP. But it's the good kind of toxic. Seriously, I can’t remember any conversation with CDP where I didn’t leave inspired and bursting with enthusiasm.

It was a good get-together on the day of hearts and love. I didn't have a date, but I did have a nice get-together with people I love because we all share the same love for one thing we really love – volunteering.

2 comments: