Thursday, February 4, 2010

Old couples' romance is certainly not bad romance... hehehe

Photobucket

This afternoon, I was able to talk for a few minutes to a couple whose love for each other has withstood World War II, Martial Law, EDSA revolution, an earthquake, the eruption of Mayon, and many other things.

It was inspiring, I have to say.

I had to cover an “Amazing Race” kind of gimik for work, and the leg that was assigned to me involved the racers visiting the home of select senior citizens in Makati to bring them fruit baskets and a serenade.

When we knocked on one of the houses in Pio del Pilar, a tiny old lady opened the door with a smile on her face. She sure has seen better days, but she still carried a very positive disposition.

Her face was one that said, “I’ve lived a good life… not necessarily blessed materially, but I have a husband, I’ve raised a family, I’ve grandkids now. I’m thankful.”

After explaining to her why a bunch of strangers are knocking on their lovely home, she let us in. We looked for her husband (he was the one the racers were assigned to serenade) and he was there at the living room.

He was a couple of years older than his wife. He was seated, and probably had difficulty moving, but he still was full of life. It wasn’t difficult to tell.

After the racers gave the fruit basket and sang a song for them, I was left with the couple. The racers had to run to the next leg.

This was where I got to know a little about Mr. Salvador (aka Tatay Badong) and Ms. Bartolometa (aka Nanay Miang).

After getting their reaction from what just happened, I asked them other things to get to know them a bit better.

I don’t know when the last time they had a visitor who’s not family, because after I asked my first question the couple just started telling me their story.

Tatay Badong, during his younger days, was a crane operator. And then when the Americans arrived to liberate us, he was there to see everything. (When was the last time you talked to someone who saw World War II happen???) He has worked various jobs to raise his family.

Meanwhile, Nanay Miang was a stay at home mom. But she did have her social activities. She played the organ for Mass at the local parish.

It was really amusing seeing the dynamics of the couple. He answered the questions, while she sat by his side and gave additional answers. He was warm (but still carried the “I’m the man of the house” air), while she was gracious and charming like every woman from that era long gone (at least, that’s how I imagine most women from the days of my Lola were. Hehe!)


After thanking them for their time and for accepting us into their home, Nanay Miang walked me to the gate. She apologized for not even offering me a drink. Filipino hospitality talaga. I told her it was perfectly okay, and I was just really thankful that they had us.

As I made my way back to the office, I had to wonder what happened after I left. She probably went back in and continued watching the television with Tatay Badong. Later in the evening, she’d probably remind him to take his meds. And he’d reply in a slightly annoyed tone that he already drank his meds. She won’t take offense because she already knows that that’s really him. And because she knows that he hasn’t taken the meds yet and that he would later apologize to her because she was correct. True enough, he still sees the unopened packet of pills and the glass of water by the table. He laughs and sheepishly tells her, “Ooops, the meds are still there.” They later retire together, as they have done for the past half-century, thankful for the day that just ended and hoping that tomorrow will be another day of being together.

Haaayyy… how to have something like that

This cheesy post is brought to you by the month of February. Wahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment