Thursday, May 27, 2010

The trip to Pinatubo...

So, yeah, the trip to Pinatubo with my LSQC sacristan buddies happened over the weekend.

On the way back to Manila from our Sagada trip, Peter brought up the idea of doing the Pinatubo trip. Everybody seemed up for it and that was really great. I, on the other hand, didn't want to commit since something might come up at work. Thankfully, there was no weekend work. I was able to join the guys. My super best friend Tey even got to join us as well.

Tey mentioned before that she wanted to go to Pinatubo. I told her about the plan with the guys, and we were lucky enough that she didn't have any weekend work, too.

Joseph and the rest of the guys picked fetched me and Tey at my house on a very early Saturday morning (around 5:30PM). From QC, the drive up north began. We passed by Meycauayan to get Dennis, followed by a quick stop at the next gas station just outside of the NLEX toll to get breakfast.

We reached Pinatubo Spa Town in Sta. Juliana, Capas, Tarlac a little after 8AM. It was quite easy to reach the place. There were enough signages to make sure you reach the place. Joseph was able to park at a spacious lot of one house across the Pinatubo Spa Town. Private parking was just P50.

While we prepped our stuff, Peter went ahead and got us registered. We had to pay P1,500. This includes the the 4x4 vehicle, a local guide and a heavy Filipino or Korean lunch when you get back to the Spa Town from the trip.

After all the arrangements, the drive to the jump-off point began. It took us almost an hour to reach it. It's a bumpy ride, but I didn't care because I was too absorbed by the panoramic view surrounding us. When I told some colleagues about the trip, they said it was different from before. I guess the last Pinatubo eruption changed the surrounding lanscape literally, huh?!

When we reached the jump-off point, there were already close to twento 4x4s parked. There were that many people! Woohoo! But seeing so many 4x4s also was a sign that we already started late. Hehe! It was true, because as we made our way to the crater, we already met some groups who were making their way back.

The climb was nothing spectacular for me. Except for the land formations from the lahar which made me feel like I was on the set of Lord of the Rings, the climb was just like one of the climbs I have done during the tree planting activities I cover for work.

What was really awesome for me was when we reached that part with paved steps. There was nothing more in sight but the clouds. I knew that when we reach the top of those steps, the Pinatubo crater lake would come into view.

Even if I knew that, nothing prepared me for the beautiful scenery that welcomed me when I reached the top. It was out of this world. Can you see that I'm struggling to find words to describe to you what I saw?! I am failing. Hahaha!

Seriously, you have to be there to appreciate the picturesque view. I'm not really a mountain person (between the beach and the mountain, I would always for the former) but Pinatubo is most definitely an exception.

After the mandatory group photos at the "welcome" signage, we walked further and the lanscape was further reaveled to us. I was already on a major high trying to absorb all the colors and the wonderful scenery around me.

We rested a little bit, and then I managed to convince Tey to take the walk down to the lake. We were there already, so we might as well. I would have liked to go swimming in the lake but I didn't bring swim clothes. I was really after the photo ops, rather than swimming. I did want to try to go boating though and find out what was on the other side of the mountains.

By 1PM (or was it already 2PM?), we decided to head back to Pinatubo Spa. Just as we reached the jump-off point where the 4x4s were parked, it rained hard. We were really soaked. Hahaha! What would have annoyed me on any other day instead made me happier. Yeah, we were drenched. But hey, I just saw the Pinatubo crater. Nothing could dampen my mood. Haha!

Back at the Pinatubo Spa, we had a fantab Filipino lunch - noodles, soup, grilled chicken, veggies, rice, more rice. Haha! We had a mostly silent lunch because everyone was just too hungry. Hahaha!

Once done with lunch, we took a shower and changed into fresh clothes. The shower rooms had a spacious changing area. Lockers are free to be used. There were also clean towels available for use. For P1,500, it wasn't bad at all.

The venue offers different kinds of massages and facials, but we didn't get to try them anymore since it was already getting late. We had to get back to Manila already.

It was a fantab experience! Would I want to go back? Definitely. But this time, I would like to be there much earlier so that we can spend more time at the lake. It would be such a perfect spot to just enjoy nature and free one's mind from the wearies of the metro life. Haha!

Pinatubo Spa Town
Web: http://pinatubospatown.com/
Mobile +63 928 3410402
Landline +63 45 4930031

Trip pics here.

1 comment:

  1. Sagada and Pinatubo consecutively? Whoaw! :) I love both! :) Picture picture!

    ReplyDelete