Thursday, August 26, 2010

Me and Mrs. Jones....errr... Mrs. Prada

















One of the major major (LOL!) highlights of the HK trip was the visit to SPACE - the official outlet store of Prada and Miu Miu.

Even before the trip, I already did my research on how to get to the place. Big thanks to I-van for giving me more details. And tempted as I may be to be selfish and not share the info, I will gay it forward and write how to get to this small piece of heaven on earth.

But before that and the visit to Space, a little story about my love affair with Prada. Gad, there is nothing straight about that sentence. Haha! I remember back in college in the late 90s, I went to Glorietta to check out the newly opened Giorgio Armani store. It was the first in the country, and it was getting so much publicity. At that time, my fascination with the world of luxury goods was starting. A huge confirmation that I’m you know. Haha!

After visiting Armani, I noticed the small store right next to it - Prada. From the outside, the store looked intimidating. But I still went in and the minute I went through the glass door, I thought, "Uhm, Dorothy, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore." Okay, that was an exaggeration. But I do remember the pale emerald green/turquoise color of the walls, the plush carpet, the pleasant looking sales associates and of course, the bags, my gulay, the bags. Those black nylon bags looked so simple yet so elegant. It was really meant to be a classic, something you can still use ten years from now.

That first trip to Prada was followed with discovering Style.com, and it was there that I learned more about Mrs. Prada (yes, technically her surname is Bertelli but I read in Time that she is addressed as Mrs. Prada) and her awesome collection season after season. If there's one show that shouldn't be missed, it's Prada. She continues to be the rulebreaker of the pack. One season, she'll send fairies down the runway. The following season, she goes on lace overload. For spring, she’ll send extremely bright colors, and then for fall, she’ll do muted earth tones. I love her unpredictability and how she keeps everyone on the edge of their seats.

Many would ask why the heck would one spend a few thousand to several hundred of thousands of pesos on a few metres of fabric or a a couple of yards of nylon. When it comes to the work of a few designers (Prada included), I would say that it’s not just a piece of clothing one is buying. It’s a work of art. It’s paying due to the creativity, the genius of the person behind the brand. When Lacroix haute couture pieces were exhibited at the Ayala Museum years ago, I went and there sort of understood better why the price of haute couture is astronomical. Each dress is handmade, and takes hours and hours of painstaking dedication. So really, when you think about it, a well-designed, well-crafted bag is not just a bag. It’s really creativity translated into something you can hold.

Going back to the Hong Kong trip, the visit to Space was scheduled on a Sunday. I did that on purpose. Friday and Saturday were meant for the touristy activities. Sunday will be for shopping. I woke up bright and early (a little too early actually because I was too excited) and prepared for a wonderful day. I didn't know what to expect. I had no idea how far the store was from where we were (Causeway Bay0. I wasn't sure if Tey and I can find the place. But I was determined to get there.

When we were done with quick breakfast at MickeyD's, Tey and I walked to the bus stop and looked for the stop for 592. That was our ride to bring us to Prada and Miu Miu heaven. I had a printout of I-van’s email, just to make sure we wouldn't get lost.

To my surprise and relief, getting to Space was easy. Just count four stops after the bus crosses the Ap Lei Chau bridge and that's where you get off. Space is found in the South Horizons residential area. If you don't open your eyes wide, you will miss the store because it looks just like another plain store.

We got there before 12. On Sundays, the store opens at 12. Other days, they open at 10. Monday, the store is closed. I was surprised to see that there were already about 10 customers outside. This got me even more excited. Tey and I made our way up the steps and stayed near the door. I can already see the neatly clad sales associates getting ready for the day. I already spotted some shelves that had some bags on display.

Five minutes to 12. People started to get up and made their way to the door. Since I was taking photos, I told Tey, "Tey, head straight to that shelf and hold on to the bags." I was serious. I've heard of people fighting over the last prized piece and there was no way it was going to happen to me and Tey.

Three minutes to 12. The small crowd of early birds was all standing by the door. From where we stood, we saw the sales associates do some last minute preparations. A tall guy in a sleek suit checked his counter before proceeding to the door. He checked the time again and when the clock struck noontime, he opened the door to welcome Prada hungry people. Woohoo!

It was crazy and exciting. No one rushed to the shelves, but you could sense that people moved in a hurried pace. I'm sure we all thought the same thing - I'm not going to let that other person get ahead of me to the shelves. The first section I went to was where the black nylon bags are. I was praying that they'd have the BT0171 (which I've been dreaming of for the longest time) but they didn't. What they had was a smaller version, and it would look awkward if I carried that style. There were several small pouches and they looked so delicious. It was difficult to choose which one to get.

After a quick scan of that shelf, I walked further and saw the men's section. Gad, clothes, shoes, accessories, and bags heaven. Except that again there were only a few bags. The sling bags were tempting, but it wouldn't be practical. I was really set on getting a messenger bag but unfortunately, there wasn't anything good. I tried on some of the long-sleeved shirts that were really yummy. Two of the shirts I liked didn't have a smaller size. The third option didn't have a size larger. Ugh! Too bad because one of the shirts I was eyeing is the same shirt Carrie gave to Jack Berger in that Prada episode of SATC. I’m 99% sure.

While I was lost in oblivion and checking out almost everything once, twice, thrice, Tey was also busy doing her own Prada tour. Hehe! She was drawn toward the eyewear where she found really delichious pieces. I played the devil big time and made her get try several pairs of occhialis. Wahaha! She also checked out two pairs of shoes, but ended up getting just the eywear. I, on the other hand, got some small cutesy pieces. For Prada, I think it's a good price already. There were other pieces that were so tempting to get but that would mean giving up the budget for the other items on my shopping list. Hehe! No can do.

We came into the store at 12 noon and we left around 3PM. I find it quite fascinating how we ended up spending almost three hours in such a small space. Haha! I guess because there were just so many beautiful items, and it was difficult to decide which one to get, especially if you’re on a budget. Haha!

Still, it was a very good experience and definitely in the top 5 things I like about the HK trip. Haha!
Must go back though. The quest for the elusive BT0171 continues.

Okay, this is how you get to Space. If traveling from Causeway Bay take BUS 592 (Causeway Bay to Ap Lei Chau Circular via Happy Valley Racecourse, Leighton Road, Morrison Hill Road). Get off at Marina Square on South Horizons Drive (the fourth stop after the bus has crossed Ap Lei Chau Bridge) outside "The Oasis" and Space is just across the road. Sit on the right side of the bus so that you see it. Easy, right?

Good luck!!! Make me PRADA you! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment