Thursday, May 16, 2013

Happy birthday, Tonio...

Today is the birthday of one-half of the reason why I exist - my father.

He is 79. Sometimes, I find it hard to believe that he's just a year short of 80. I know he's already upon his twilight years but my memory of him is always of that man on the day I flew out to Singapore a few years ago.

On my most recent visit to Manila, I saw how much he has aged. I think I may have mentioned that in a previous blog post. But seriously, I can't believe how two years have done so much to change him. He was definitely not the man I remembered leaving behind in 2011.

The past few months have been quite trying for the entire family. Somehow, there is something that is holding our family together. I couldn't quite put my finger into what it is just yet. But whatever it is, I am thankful for it.

Last Sunday, I called home to greet my mom Happy Mothers Day. Little did I know that it would also be some sort of Fathers Day. My Dad asked to talk to me.

And for the next minute or two, things that have been waiting to be said for a long time were uttered. That, I think, gave us something we both needed.

Happy birthday, Tonio. Though I'm not there today, I am saying an extra prayer for you tonight. I also look forward to seeing you on my next visit.

4 comments: