Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Visit to three of the four Papal Basilicas...





When MkSurf8 and RKGreg went to Rome last year (or was it two years ago?), I asked MkSurf8 to bring back a rosary from the Vatican for me.

He brought back one beautiful rosary, which I've been using until now.

What I like about the rosary he got me was that each papal basilica was etched on the bead in which the Our Father is recited. This was partly an inspiration for me to want to go to Rome and the Vatican during Holy Week and be able to visit the basilicas.

While I was dragging PG Boy to the different churches and basilicas, I told him that I wanted to go to the four papal basilicas. He asked what a papal basilica meant. Lol! I didn't know exactly. I just assumed that they were very important churches.

But I did my research when I got back and I found out that Papal Basilica is the title given to the four highest-ranking Roman Catholic churches. The most popular, naturally, is Basilica di San Pietro in Vaticano (St. Peter's Basilica) since it is the centre of the Vatican City. Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore (Basilica of Saint Mary Major) is believed to be the oldest church in the west dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, while Arcibasilica Papale di San Giovanni in Laterano (Papal Archbasilica of St. John Lateran) is the cathedral of the Diocese of Rome, of which the Pope is bishop.

The only basilica we didn't get to visit was St. Paul Outside of the Walls. Just as St. Peter's Basilica was built over the burial location of St. Peter, this basilica was built over the burial place of the St. Paul. We missed going to this basilica because I spent a few hours at Via Condotti. Lol! :-S

Will have to go back someday then.

No comments:

Post a Comment