Thursday, February 24, 2011

A test I was more than happy to fail...




Okay, just in case you choose not to finish the blog post, at least, you have the information that you might need:

What: FREE HIV Test using Rapid Test Kit

Who: Everyone is welcome for testing particularly those who believe that they have been exposed to HIV, underage/minor must secure parental consent according to R.A. 8504 or must comply with the requirements of the law for testing.

When: July 22, 2008 and onwards until supply lasts

Total Targets: 15,000 Clients based on the 15,000 HIV Test KITS available

Where: Social Hygiene Clinic - Manila Health Department, 2nd Floor of 208 Quiricada Street, Sta. Cruz, Manila (green building across the main gate of San Lazaro Hospital, between LRT Bambang and LRT Tayuman Station)

GROUP TESTING: Group Testing is possible by making arrangements with Ms. Malou Tan for venue and date. However, venue should be within the City of Manila.

Contact Details: For inquiries, call 711-6942 and look for Dra. Diana Mendoza or Ms. Malou Tan, Monday to Friday only from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

(NOTE: reading of results take 10 minutes after actual blood sample extraction, procedure is the same as blood sugar monitoring for Diabetic clients)

=========

Because of some impending plans, I finally mustered all my courage and decided to have myself tested for HIV.

It's my first time ever to take the test.

I know, I know. It's really stupid not to get tested regularly.

I should have had the balls to take it long before. Instead, I had to wait for about a decade, before going through with it.

Part of me was not that scared of the results because I'm a major loser when it comes to that department. (And I guess I just made myself a bigger loser by writing that I'm a loser in that department. Haha!)

Blame it on my issues about not wanting the act to be more than just a temporary thing. Basta, it's meant for another blog post. Hehe!

Anyway, so because of the impending plans and for my own peace of mind, I decided to be late for work last Tuesday and head over to the Social Hygiene Clinic Manila near the Department of Health.

After reading some blog posts of HIV/AIDS awareness advocates, I learned that the test was free and that it would only take about 10 - 15 minutes to get the results. Awesome! The Social Hygiene Clinic was also near my house so I definitely did not have an excuse not to go.

Tuesday morning, I woke up around 6AM but took my time preparing for the day. The clinic was a short ride away. I knew I can leave at 7:45AM and I would be there just in time for the opening.

I left at 7:30 though because I wanted to be first to arrive at the clinic. I wanted to get it over with asap because of a 10AM meeting I had to attend. Hehe!

The clinic wasn't that difficult to find. The exact address is 208 Quiricada St. It's the green building right across San Lazaro Hospital.

The Social Hygiene Clinic is at the second floor. When I got there, the hallway was deserted. I was greeted by a Kuya. I smiled at him and told him I was there for the test. He had to clarify which test. Stupid me. I forget that there's an entire range of STDs out there. I told him HIV.

Surprisingly, hearing me say the word out loud didn't scare me. In fact, I even felt powerful over it. It's probably my own way of dealing with the stress and anxiety that came with taking the test.

The Kuya gave me a form that I had to fill out. Just basic information. Afterwards, I was asked to wait by the bench. That was when another yuppie arrived. The Kuya asked him what he needed and the guy said he's there for a follow up checkup. Sorry, I couldn't help but eavesdrop.

I didn't get more information though because I was called into the consultation room. Inside, I was welcomed by a very nice lady, Dr. Diana Mendoza. Google her and you would find nothing but good words about her. She really is nice.

She checked my knowledge about the disease and about the test. I told her why I wanted to take the test. She asked me basic questions, which made me more uneasy rather than the results of the test.

"When was the last time?"

Pause. Long pause. Pause. I had to tell her the truth that I can't really remember. Ouch! Haha! Basta I'm sure it was late last year. Hehe!

After asking me to sign some forms, Dr.Mendoza instructed me to go to the first floor to have my blood extracted.

I proceeded to Rm.106 where I was greeted by another polite lady. I sat down on a chair near the desk and waited for her as she put on a pair of latex gloves and prepared the items she will need.

My blood sample was extracted in less than 2 minutes. A simple prick on my ring finger and a few drops were taken. I thanked her and went back upstairs to the clinic to wait for the results.

There were more people arriving. I sat cooly and patiently waited.

Was I nervous? Yes, I was.Though I've been safe, who really knew? It's easy to be at risk.

After attending to some people, the Kuya walked up to me and said that he'll get my results.

A few minutes later, he was walking towards my direction but went straight inside the clinic. I was sligtly tempted to ask for the piece of paper already so I could just get it over and done with.

Kuya asked me to go inside the clinic. The folded piece of paper was there on the top of table. I was so tempted to get it already, but I chose to be a good boy and patiently waited for Dr. Mendoza.

When she returned, she handed me the folded piece of paper. I was nervous. I was tense. The information on that piece of paper could drastically change my life. I dunno if I was prepared for it.

I took one deep breath and opened the piece of paper. The checkmark was placed beside non-reactive. Wooohoo! Awesome!

I let out a huge sigh of relief and thanked Dr. Mendoza over and over again. All she could say was she was also thankful that the result was good.

She reminded me of the ABCDE and other safety precautions. And the best thing she told me was, "I wish you would already find your partner, and that you'd be faithful, and that your partner be faithful to you as well." I thought that was really nice.

She also asked me to spread the word about the FREE rapid result testing available at the Social HygieneClinic. This is why I'm writing about the test. I was more convinced after taking the test of the importance of getting tested.

We owe it to ourselves. We owe it to our partners or future partners.

Everything is confidential. The SHC staff are super helpful. And it just takes a couple of minutes.

So gora na! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment