Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A walk in the park... a former cemetery park... Hehe...



After so many weeks, maybe even months, I was finally able to go on a nature walk again.

Before I left for the short trip to Manila, I told my usual nature walk/hiking buddy Mr. Lim that it's time for us to go on a nature walk again. I can't remember the last time we went on one and I am really starting to miss being surrounded by trees and greenery.

Mr. Lim and I agreed to go for one when I return from Manila. We invited some people to go with us. He also invited five friends of his.

On the mvorning of our walk, it was just me and him. Haha! Why am I not surprised? We're the only two people among our friends crazy enough to wake up at 7AM on a weekend, I suppose. Hehe!

Our desination over the weekend was one I've never been to before - Bidadari Park.

Bidadari Park is located very near to Potong Pasir MRT. What makes it unique is that it used to be one of Singapore's largest and oldest cemeteries.

Yep, you read that right! It used to be a cemetery.

But just like what's happening to Bukit Brown Cemetery at the moment, Bidadari was cleared of graves during the second half of the twentieth century to create spaces for the living.

When it opened in 1908, the cemetery served as a multi-religious burial ground. Burial sites for Christans, Muslims, Hindus were found in the cemetery.

Some of the "superstars" who were laid to rest here were Dr. Lim Boon Keng (yes, of Boon Keng MRT station) and Song Ong Siang. Both are Peranakans who served the colonial Singapore community for many years.

I think the marker for Dr. Lim Boon Keng is still around. I also read that the iron gates, which was the entrance to the cemetery, is also still around. Too bad we didn't get to see those.

Mr. Lim and I, however, did see a number of very interesting birds and animals. We saw three of the white squirrels that live in one of the wooded areas. Over at the area where the Muslim cemetery used to be, we saw Brahminy kites (some eagle or hawk specie) and... a number of cuckatoos!!!

After the cemetery closed in 1973 and the graves were exhumed, the area naturally turned into a habitat for birds and animals. Bird watchers would go to the park because migratory birds could be seen. The cemetery also became a sort of recreational area for residents who live nearby. Mr. Lim and I saw a few people jogging and cycling. There was a man who was flying a radio-controlled plane. There were two men who carried huge cameras with them taking photos of the surroundings.

As for me, I just enjoyed in the midst of all the greens. It was really relaxing not hearing any human or vehicle noise, but just the sound of wind and the "noise" made by the cuckatoos. Haha!

I'm glad I got to go to Bidadari. I intend to return to look for the wrought iron gates and the marker of Dr. Lim Boon Keng. I have to do that soon because in a few years, the area might be replaced by HDB flats. Boo! Yeah, that's right. The site is slated to be redeveloped into a housing estate.

I really hope that the area that still has a a lot of trees would be kept and just developed into a park.

Just before I end this post, Bidadari comes from the Sanskirt word "widyadari." It means nymph or fairy. The cemetery was named after the wife of a maharaja whose istana (palace) stood in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment