Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A bit of Brussels and Cologne...









Brussels and Cologne were not in the original trip itinerary. Both cities were only included upon the suggestion of good friend Bernice, who was still then based in Amsterdam.

Looking back now, I wish that I allotted more days for both cities. A few hours of walking around the city centre were enough for me to say that I would definitely want to return again one day.

In Cologne, aside from the mandatory visit to the Cologne Cathedral, we also took a short cruise along River Rhine and did a tour of the NS Documentation Centre of the City of Cologne. The latter was the headquarters of the Cologne Gestapo between 1935 to 1945. I also managed to visit the Museum Ludwig, home to a large collection of contemporary artworks including Picasso, Liechtenstein, Pollock, Klee, Kandinsky, to name a few.

Brussels was also an equally wonderful experience. The leisurely walk around the centre that involved seeing the historic Grand Place, the Royal Palace and of course, the Manneken Pis, was truly enjoyable. Naturally, a few hours were spent at the museum. I was able to visit the Musée Old Masters Museum (Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium) to marvel at the Bruegel and Rubens collections.

I should probably devote some posts to photos only.

No comments:

Post a Comment