Saturday, January 19, 2008

Man Juice and Fatherhood...



"You can have my sperm, if you want."

I said to a girl friend the other day, and I know, I know, it didn't sound the way I had meant it to sound. The intention for that statement was to offer some help. A good friend was telling me about some "issues" about her ovaries, and since she's starting to feel that it's probably time to bear a child, I jokingly volunteered my own. (I was considered as a last resort though. Hahaha!)

I even presented the pros of the crazy idea. I said to her, "If you think about it, it would be a win-win situation. There'd be absolutely no talk about marriage for obvious reasons. The child need not carry my name, which I think you'd like. You'll get to be a Mom and hopefully, it'll also help the ovary "issue." You can date whoever you want to date. I can date whoever. And I'd finally be a Dad, which I' started dreaming of when I turned 25."

We both laughed at this outlandish and really insane idea.

I'm dreaming of becoming a Dad, but given the situation, I know it's far from happening. Why? While I do want to be a Dad, I don't want to be a husband to any Mrs. (although I know I probably could be.)

But fatherhood, that's a different matter. I can see myself as a soccer Dad - bringing my kid to school, cheering for him (or her) during intramurals, attending PTA meetings, organizing school fundraisers. Hahaha! Ten years ago, I wouldn't have thought about these things. Haha!

I think that the day I hear a little human being call out to me "Dad", then I could really say I've had the greatest life experience and probably I'd be happiest.

But until then, I'd probably have to be happy and content with being the refined "Tito."

3 comments:

  1. ..... then I'd probably being the 'soccer mom'

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is "Tito" ? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. wayne: LOL. Either way, I'm fine with it. Hehe!

    JP: "Tito" is Tagalog/Filipino for Uncle.

    ReplyDelete