Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ateneo is the happiest place on earth to go bare...

Photobucket



"All I ever want is there in your eyes."

Wonder when I would hear those words uttered to me. Forgive me, but that remark is a remnant of the really, really good Friday night I had at the home of the Blue Eagles.

Went there to catch the staging of Bare: The Musical by Blue Rep and it was just super.

Left the office at exactly five thirty because I know how horrible the traffic would be. Haha! So after an FX ride to Ortigas, a bus to Cubao, a train ride to Katipunan, a sweaty jeepney ride along Katipunan, and a couple of minutes of getting lost around the sprawling ADMU campus, I found my way to Gonzaga Hall.

Good thing that they haven't let people in yet so got to go in line before all the students hanging out decided to the same. Hehe!

The stage design was simple, but I like it that it was so close to the audience. An elevated runway was setup in the middle of the room and the seats were arranged in a U-shape around the stage. Kind of reminds one of a runway show. Hehehe!

A couple of minutes past eight, the lights were dimmed, the band started playing, and the cast led by Bibo Reyes and Amos Francia went onstage and wowed the audience for the next three house!

Though it was a Friday night, it was really great to see that it was a full house. And despite the poor venue ventilation and the somewhat faltering acoustics, I tremendously, tremendously enjoyed the show. You got to give the kids a lot of credit. For just 200 bucks a pop, you can't really expect the RCBC theater but you can expect a really great performance. That's what you're going there for anyway.

I loved, loved, loved several songs. There's "Best Kept Secret," "You and I," "Are You There," to name a few.

What I also liked about the whole thing was that there was an emotionally mature audience. When the lead characters declared their love for one other, there were no "eewwwss" or "owemgees" heard.

I'm not going to write anything more detailed than this, just in case any of you plan to go see the show. But this much I can say, you're going to leave Gonzaga Hall with a lot of emotions stirred up.

Part Juno, part High School Musical, part Trick, part Dawson's Creek, part Romeo and Juliet. Bare is worth the trip and is a show that shouldn't be missed.

The message is simple. "Love is love is love."

Bare was written by Jon Hartmere Jr. and Damon Intrabartolo. The Blue Rep staging was directed by Ana Abad Santos. Musical Direction by Felix Rivera. Stage Design by JJ Ignacio. Lights Design by Miyo Sta. Maria. Choreography by Reuben Uy. For tickets, get in touch with Alexa Yupangco at 09177220805.

No comments:

Post a Comment