Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Long overdue post on Cao Dai et al...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Of course, I'm only posting about the Saigon trip now. Haha! Super late. I didn't write about it sooner because the highlight of the trip was the Cambodge part. I'm posting about Saigon only because I don't have that much time to write, but I wanted to post something.

There are so many things that I want to write about, but I just don't take the time to really sit down and start typing.

Anyway, it was my second time to be in Saigon. Last year, I took the trip to HCMC with work colleagues. It was a good trip, so I didn't mind going back to the neighboring country again. There is so much to see outside of the city. (Looking back now though. I wonder why it never occurred to Wesley and me to look at the Bangkok-Siem Reap route, instead of Saigon-Siem Reap. The land trip is much shorter, and the last and only time I was in Bangkok, I was still using a camera with film. Haha!)

Within the city, I was still sort of familiar with the tourist district. Wes and I didn't waste much time figuring out maps and deciding which directions to go. Hehe!

Even if I was already able to visit Saigon last year, I still enjoyed it because I got to see some "new" sites. In particular, the People's Committee Hall, the Post Office, the Notre Dame Cathedral, and the Opera House sans the scaffoldings.

Wes and I also threw away I forget how much watching the Water Puppet Show. Hehe! It wasn't really a complete waste of money. I was entertained to a certain extent even if I didn't understand the language. Hehe! I have to admit, effort ang magpa-puppet sa water, ah!

Outside of the city, Wes and I toook the Cao Dai and Cu Chi tour. The Cu Chi tour I already did last year, but I was okay with going there again. The visit this time was much nicer because there weren't that too many tourists. The downside is it was a bit creepy. It started raining, so we sought shelter under one of the sheds that led to the tunnels. We were in the middle of all these trees and the ground was starting to get muddy.

In my head, I was starting to expect hearing the sound of helicopters, and then seeing Viet Cong and US soldiers appear out of nowhere and start shooting each other. None of that happened, of course. Sorry, really active imagination. Hehe!

Cao Dai was also interesting. I was got tired though with the trip to where the temple was because Wes and I have been on our feet since the first day. Hehehe!

It was a good trip. Wes was a great travel companion. He has these nice toys that kept us sane during the long road trips. Hehe! He was game for pretty much everything. He was okay with walking for long periods of time. And we were both good in sticking to the schedule. Hehe! Thanks, Wes. This trip was definitely one of the best things that happened during this otherwise ugly year.

I think I'll be taking a break from Southeast Asian countries next year. I do want to visit Laos though... and Borobodur(!!!) in Indonesia. But I think I'd want to try a farther country. Hehe! Uhm, maybe Beijing. Or even HK + Macau. Believe it or not, I've never been to HK. (And believe it or not, I've never been to Bora either! Haha!) Oh, and I will definitely go back to Singapore for the SG Marathon. I'm hoping to do a HM, otherwise 10K. Hehe!

Let's see. It will all depend on the resources. So, go 40. Wahaha! As if.

No comments:

Post a Comment