Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A Changed World exhibit at NMS...





Saturday was also a busy day. Haha!

In preparation for the guiding for the new exhibit at the museum, I attended the curator walkthrough for docents.

I always enjoy curator walkthroughs. I find it very enjoyable listening to them talk about the exhibit.

And because they usually know a lot about the exhibit, what was originally scheduled to be just an activity for an hour turns into a two-hour thing. Hehe! No complaints from me though.

Last Saturday, a bunch of docents who volunteered to guide for the exhibit gathered just outside the gallery around 10AM.

For the next two hours, we went around the gallery listening to Szan and Daniel talk about the exhibit and select pieces on display.

I may have said it before. Visual arts is very close to my heart thanks to my late father Antonio. It was really him who developed the love for the arts. I'll always be grateful for that.

The exhibit was exciting for me because it was an opportunity to get to know more about the Singapore art scene. I've always wondered about the art scene here and I'm glad that this exhibit allowed me to learn more. Well, to a certain extent, I was really required to read and read several books on Singapore art to equips myself with knowledge about the artists and their works.

In the past few weeks that I've been reading about Singapore art, I can say that my favorite artists so far are Cheong Soo Pieng, Georgette Chen and Lai Foong Moi.

Soo Pieng was among the so-called first generation artists. Georgette Chen and Lai Foong Moi are two of the prominent female artists. Hmm, I dunno why but I am always curious about and drawn to works by female artists. In the Philippines, my favorite is Anita Magsaysay-Ho. Believe it or not, I'm not much of an Amorsolo fan. Hehe!

Going back to Soo Pieng, Georgette and Lai Foong Moi, they are but a few of the artists whose works are on display at the exhibit. About 125 pieces are featured in the exhibit which will run until March 2014.

Oh, I should mention by now that the title of the exhibit is "A Changed World: Singapore Art 1950s - 1970s." It features art pieces from the 1950s to 1970s. Why this period? Who are the artists? why "A Changed World?" Head down to the museum starting 16 November to find out. Hehe!

A Changed World: Singapore Art 1950s - 1970s
Exhibition Gallery 2, Basement
25 Oct 2013 - 16 Mar 2014
10am - 7pm (last entry at 6.30pm)
Free Admission

No comments:

Post a Comment