Sunday, October 13, 2013

Artsy Sunday afternoon: Part 1








I've been meaning to join a guided tour at the Singapore Art Museum and I finally go to join one this afternoon. Uhm, it was for one of the special exhibits at SAM though. A lot of the galleries are currently closed in preparation for the upcoming Singapore Biennale.

Anyway, this is my first time to see works by Wu Guanzhong. According to the museum guide, he is one of the leading painters in Chinese modern art. The exhibit presented a few of his abstract works along with the works of other Singaporean and Southeast Asian artists.

For the Philippines, a piece by Lao Lianben was on display. Meanwhile, there were also works by Singaporean artists Chua Ek Kay, Anthony Poon and Malaysian artist Latiff Mohidin.

I'm not much of a fan of contemporary art. Most of the time, I leave an exhibit puzzled, questioning, or with a "there goes my money" feeling. Lol. But maybe the fact that the show elicited a response is something to be noted. Some artists feel that a work needs to be understood for it to have meaning. Some artists say that art begins with the creation process itself and regardless of whether it is understood or not, the important thing is an emotional response is present. Whatever the case, I do think it's important to come to contemporary art exhibits with an open mind. Otherwise, one would really feel that it's money wasted. Hehe.

From the pieces on displayed, I guess I liked Wu Guanzhong's A World of Ice and Snow. There is beauty and elegance in the strokes. Do you see the dancing woman on the left side of the painting in second photo?

Free admission currently at the Singapore Art Museum. I guess it'll be free until the opening of the Singapore Biennale.

Singapore Art Museum
71 Bras Basah Road, Singapore 189555.
www.singaporeartmuseum.sg
+65 6332 3222

No comments:

Post a Comment