Saturday, October 19, 2013

Before Anna, there was Diana...



Recently, I've been seeing/hearing a lot of Diana Vreeland's name in the books I just finished reading and documentaries I stumbled upon. Hehe!

Diana Vreeland was a fashion editor at Harper's Bazaar who later became the editor-in-chief of US Vogue.

Yep, before there was Anna Wintour, there was Diana Vreeland. Or Mrs. Vreeland to some. Or Diana to some.

She was followed by Grace Mirabella who was then replaced by Anna Wintour. I dun hear much about Grace Mirabella.

Recently, I was able to find a copy of the documentary film "The Eye Has to Travel." It chronicles Diana Vreeland's life in the fashion industry.

I've always had a certain admiration for Anna Wintour, as well as Grace Coddington and French Vogue's Carine Roitfeld. People can say what they want about Anna but I, and I'm sure there are thousands of others out there, still adore her.

After watching the documentary on Diana Vreeland, I'm starting to feel that I like her more (?). Hehe! Based on the interview clips and the interviews of people who were lucky enough to have worked with her, it seemed like she was truly ahead of her time.

Out of curiosity, I downloaded a Kindle version of Empress of Fashion, which is about her. I'm also currently looking for her autobiography "D.V." Maybe I'll get it as a birthday pressie. Hehe!

They should be interesting reads.

I dunno. To me, fashion was never just about good clothes or accessories or the perfect bag. It has always been more than that. If one does examine it, one can see that there's an intriguing history behind it. It is not all frivolity. It can even be very political.

Anyway, check out the trailer of the documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment