Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Artsy Sunday afternoon: Part 2




The second half of artsy Sunday afternoon was spent visiting the Singapore Pinacotheque de Paris pop-up exhibit at the Fort Canning Centre.

I've been seeing banners of the event but I've been ignoring it. I thought it was just some random event for art collectors. Obviously, I did not read the details. Mucho thanks to Tipz for telling me more deets about the exhibit.

Pinacotheque, the largest private museum in Paris, will open a Singapore counterpart at the Fort Canning Centre in early 2015. (Hmm, same year as the opening of the National Art Gallery).

Similar to the Paris museum, the Singapore museum will showcase works of Old Masters and Modern greats from anonymous private collectors. Pinacotheque has about 200 pieces on permanent loan (I didn't know there was such a thing. Hehe!) from collectors. I guess opening a Singapore counterpart would make it easier for collectors from the region to loan pieces from their collection.

When Tipz and I reached Fort Canning Centre, it didn't look much from the outside. The venue felt like it was some abandoned building. Hehe! The doors to the exhibit wouldn't make one think that behind those doors are some of the world's priceless art pieces. Haha!

Some 20 pieces from different periods and art movements are placed side by side in the small venue. Among those on display are Amadeo Modigliani’s Young Lady with Earrings, Claude Monet’s Suzanne with Sunflowers, Sandro Botticelli’s Christ Carrying the Cross, Andy Warhol’s Marilyn Pablo Picasso's. There was also one piece by Jackson Pollock and another piece by Mark Rothko.

Surprisingly, there were very few people visiting the exhibit. To me, it was really great because I was able to take my time in admiring the art pieces. Tipz and I went back to take a look at some of the other pieces again. We also had some discussion when it came to some pieces such as Peter Huys Descent into Limbo. Haha!

If this is a preview of what the museum will be featuring once it opens in 2015, then this is one museum I'm going to visit over and over again. ;)

Exhibit runs until December 2013. Admission prices are $15 for adults and $12 for residents (including work pass holders. Yay!)

I really love it that there are all these art havens in such a small area - there's SAM and just across SMU, you have NMS and then just behind NMS is the Fort Canning Centre. And then, very close to NMS is the Peranakan Museum. How awesome, yeah?!

No comments:

Post a Comment