Monday, March 16, 2009

Art hunting on a Saturday morning...


Woke up really early last Saturday for the annual Art in the Park art fair. Gave Carlo a wakeup call at 630AM as well because I made him go with me to the event. Hehe! Thank you, Carlo. Anyway, wanted to be really early at the Salcedo Park because I want first dibs on the pieces that will be put on sale. Harhar!

Arrived in Salcedo a little before 8. There were already a number of people looking around. Some of the booth exhibitors aren't there yet, so I took my time walking to the place. The last time I bought something was in 2007, I think. Uhm, if I remember correctly, they were small pieces by Jonathan Olazo. The title was "Utterance in the Time of Despair," and I came upon it at a perfect time because I was going through a thinking phase at that time.

Carlo was asking me what I usually look for when I plan to buy a work. Well, there's the obvious factor of who the artist is, but more than that I told him that I usually make the purchase when the piece communicates to me. Hehe! Does that sound weird?! Carlo, on the other hand, says he likes pieces that makes one think or one that can create a conversation among the people viewing the piece. Plus, of course, he considers the technique since he himself draws. Hehe!

Going back to the art fair, I think there were about twenty or so galleries that participated. There were several interesting pieces. For me, the ones that I almost got were two pieces by Andres Barrioquinto. Both were in pastel, if I remember correctly. One piece was like a portrait of a man and surrounding his head were the numbers 1 - 8. The other piece was also a portrait of a man who was holding a cigarette. It was done in shades of gray.

Also found two pieces by Wire Tuazon, but the connection wasn't that strong though so I didn't get it as well. Another piece that I liked was from Nineveh Art Space. It was the back of a man and there was a huge letter Q painted on his head.

The other two booths that had pieces which got me interested were Ang I.N.K (AJ Omandac's prints) and Sheer Joy (Robert Alejandro's kiddie prints).

After going through the booths severak times and deciding that none were for me, Carlo and I just headed to the Salcedo market for brunch. Too many people, but that's expected. There was so much food that we had a difficult time choosing what to eat. For dessert, we thought of getting the dirty ice cream from the typical mamang sorbetero you see on the streets. But apparently, the price of dirty ice cream shoots up when you're in the Makati CBD. Forty pesos for a friggin small cone! Unbelievable! And it was too late to say no because the guy already started scooping. Hay!

Anyway, it was a good Saturday morning. Though I didn't get to bring home something new to add to the collection, it was fun. Uhm, I wished you were there though.

No comments:

Post a Comment