Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sunday afternoon with Amorsolo and his women...


I've been wanting to go and see one of the seven Amorsolo exhibits for the longest time, but because of the busy schedule and other excuses, six of the seven have already ended and I haven't seen any. The only one left was the Ayala Museum exhibit and its last day was March 8.

Haha! Initially, I thought to myself it's okay to miss that exhibit because of recent happenings, but I knocked some sense into myself by thinking that I've been planning to go see it way before.

So on the last day of the Amorsolo exhibit at Ayala Museum, I dragged former colleague and good friend Grace to go see it. And it was great because we got to go in for free thanks to compli tickets from Asia Society (I think?). Haha!

The last time I was at the Ayala Museum was for the Christian Lacroix exhibit. I've been telling myself that I should go more often, and I even want to undergo the docent training, but some excuse always comes up. Hay!

The visit last Sunday was really fantastic because we got to see four(!!!) exhibits. We started at the fourth floor gallery where the Crossroads of Civilization was. Bernice told me about this. She got to see it before she left for the Netherlands, and she told me that I should go see it because I would like it.

She was right. I completely, completely enjoyed the exhibit. As usual, I was just really amazed at the craftsmanship of our ancestors. Ang galing!!! Take for example the Gold of Our Ancestors exhibit, the pieces on display were wow! I can imagine how much time and effort and skill were put into creating the fantastic pieces.

The Crossroads of Civilization was fantastic. I particularly enjoyed the AVP for the Gold and the Ceramic. For the ceramic, in particular, I'm wondering how the lights were synchronized with the commentary of the speaker. It's my first time to see something like that and I was really amused.

From the Crossroads, we moved to the Amorsolo exhibit. The pieces on display were Amorsolo's portraits of women. If I had to choose, my favorite was the nudes done in charcoal/pencil on paper. Maybe because they're not too identified as the usual Amorsolo. I mean, even with my limited art knowledge, I could somehow say that Amorsolo is known for his oil paintings of Filipino life in the countryside.

Right beside the Amorsolo exhibit is the Fernando Zobel exhibit. I'm not that familiar with his work, and the only works of him that I know are from the notecards I bought. The only one I remember is the Tension Luminosa. I didn't expect it to be quite big. Hehe!

Our last stop was the diorama, which we went through only because it was there. I've seen it a long time ago when the Ayala Museum was still in the old building so there was really no thrill for me.

I have to say that the museum visit experience is much different now probably because I've been mounting exhibits myself. So aside from just checking out by the artifacts, art pieces on display, I would also now try to see how an artwork was mounted, or how the display setup was done. Weird, huh?!

Really good afternoon. Must make an effort to do museum visits more. The Yuchengco Museum is right next to my office, but again I haven't even gone to visit it. Grr! I was also thinking that if there were one other job I'd like to do, it would probably be to work for a museum as an art restorer. I wonder why it never occurred to me. That would have been really great!

No comments:

Post a Comment