Monday, March 23, 2009

Feeling alive because of the Condura Run '09...


With barely enough sleep last Friday and a grueling long Saturday, I had to make sure I slept early Saturday evening to get some seven hours of sleep in preparation for a very early Sunday morning.

It was the Condura Run and it was the culmination of, don't laugh, the sort of training for the 5K run.

This run is really fun and special because of two things. First, this is my first "official" run. I ran the UNDP Stand Up Take Action last November but that was just for work. For the Condura Run, I trained, I invested resources (read: gym membership, new footwear, new apparel - Nike raked in a lot of cash from me this month... hay), new perspectives on running footwear (anotehr story) I was really psyched for the run.

The other thing that made Condura Run extra memorable was that friends were there. Colleague Arlyn and sister/good friend Ryse told us about the run and the usual suspects (miraculously) agreed to sign up. Hehe! Aside from the PA gang, college friends Ella and Gino were also running. Too bad Jon didn't join (because he wasn't fit to run daw). And Trish is on the other side of the planet. I also bumped into Icon friend Ivan who was with some colleagues as well. It was great seeing him, since the last time we saw each other was Christmas.

Moving on, Tey and I, with her nephews Mich and Ken in tow, arrived at the Fort before 5:30. There were already a LOT of people. The weather was kind of chilly, which was really surprising, and I couldn't wait for the mighty sun to rise and greet us all.

By 5:30, the 21K runners were off. Following them at 6AM were the 10K, the 5K (that's us), and the 3K.

I think the hours on the treadmill paid off because it took a while before I stopped to brisk walk and catch my breath.

The best part of the run I have to say was when the pack turned right to 34th St. The morning sun greeted us with its wonderful sunshine and that really got me back on running again. I'm pretty sure the rays of that sun are kind of harmful already but still it was just really a great surprise to feel the heat and the light of the sun. There was something extraordinary about it.

Anyway, I finsihed my run at 44:07. I think that's really slow (and I believe the stupid decision to not use my running shoes contributed to the long running time), but that's okay because it gives me a reason to try and do better the next time. Oh yes, there definitely will be a next time.

One friend once shared that when she was injured during a triathlon, she just kept on going and yelled, "Pain is temporary. Pride is permanent." Lastly, look what I came across. Haha! I just had to take a photo of it. This was after the race already.

The run concluded perfectly with a breakfast at Pancake House. It was the nicest way to cap the really fun morning. The place was packed with runners and so much life, so much energy was up in the air. It was one of those moments when you just feel alive, really alive, and for that you are thankful!

Whooopppeee! Til the next run!

No comments:

Post a Comment