Thursday, January 6, 2011

Get-together with the "balikbayans..."








One nice thing about the holiday is people come back home to the Philippines.

It's always something I look forward to. This year, friends from Singapore, Amsterdam and LA came home.

First is Jeaners, my friend from Pahinungod. She's been living in Singapore for a couple of years now. She was in town for the wedding of her sister Gina. I met up with Jeaners when I was in Singapore early December though it was a very quick get-together due to the hectic schedule. I didn't get to see her here because my friend from LA Jimmy arrived on the same day that the get-together with Jeaners was scheduled. It's okay though because I'm going to see Jeaners again very soon.

Jimmy is a guy I met during the days when Icon, the now defunct LGBT magazine which was a little project among our barkada, was still around. We featured writer Noel Alumit in the magazine and Jimmy was a colleague of Noel back then. I can't remember how it happened, but when Jimmy came home to Manila two (or three??) years ago, we met up and that was the start of our friendship.

I've sort of made myself his unofficial tour guide when he's here in Manila. Haha! This year, we went to the Ayala Museum, then Rockwell for Team Manila and dinner at Pepper Lunch, followed by dessert at the Ice Cream Bar. He was in the country for almost two weeks but he had the busiest schedule (which included a trip to HK, Macau and holidays in the province). The only other time I got to see him was the day he was flying back to LA. It's always a joy to see this guy because he's very funny and I love it that we get to exchange stories on how the LGBT life is here and in LA.

Orcom blockmate/friend from UP Manila Trish was also in Manila just before Christmas. I can't remember the last time we saw each other, but I'm sure it was ages agooo! So when she said that she was going to be in Manila and that we could only see her on a particular date because of her hectic sched, the usual suspects - Tey, Ella, Gino, me, Jonrox and Elapie - had to go. One night only ang drama namin. Hehe! Well, Jonrox fell asleep and didn't make it. Ergo, no Elapie as well. Huhu. But anyway, it was really fantab seeing Trish. I'm glad that everything seems to be going really well for her in the US.

Also in town is Bernice, a friend from my Magsaysay days. I took over the position she left when she resigned from Magsaysay. We only met one time. That was when she brought me around to introduce me to people. That was all it took for us to be good friends. The highlight of our get-together this year is getting to attend a yoga class together… after years of planning it. Bernice was the one who introduced me to yoga. Last Sunday, that finally happened and it was just great.

Then, there’s Rejoy from Singapore. Rejoy used to work where I work now, and she is one of the very good friends I have in Singapore. Every get-together with her, whether here or in Singapore, is guaranteed pure fun and laughter.

Another Singapore-based friend Cyprus was also in town for the holidays. We didn’t get to meet up though because he had to fly straight home to Davao. He’ll be coming back though end of January and it’ll be twice the fun because our good friend Jonjon is coming with him.

So, the holiday that passed was really an awesome one. In addition to the get-together with friends from abroad, there is also of course the numerous dinners, spontaneous lunch out, several coffee get-togethers with friends based here in Manila - the Queermas party, the birthday of Zee, the Yakimix lunch with Twitter buddies, the Jungle Ball, dinner with my "brother" Carlo, the Izakaya lunch with the PA girls, among others.

It was indeed a happy holiday.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you. You have lots of friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks, Nielz! :) Yuh, grateful to have been blessed with many good friends. Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year too! More friends and travels for you. :)

    ReplyDelete