Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Their story is one for the books...

This is the story of the mom of a very good friend.

When my friend shared this story with me, I thought it was something worth sharing with everyone (or at least, to cheeseballs like me. Haha!)

The parents of my friend have separated a long, long time ago. My friend's Dad, I assume years after the separation, found another woman to love and is now stepmom to my friend. My friend's biological Mom, on the other hand, has been single for quite some time now.

Just before Christmas, my friend's Mom made an announcement. She was already seeing someone. It seems like a serious relationship. It is a serious relationship. They're planning to get married some time this year.

My friend couldn't be more happier for her Mom. Before the announcement, my friend was already starting to get worried about her Mom. Who will she spend time with? Who will be there for her? And we're talking about a life partner here rather than a mother/daughter relationship. So the announcement was very much welcomed.

When my friend asked who the guy was, her Mom said that it was a guy she knew all the way back in high school. Yes, from high school! They were either classmates or batchmates in the same school.

The guy has been in love with my friend's Mom back then and he continued to love her even after high school, after college, and apparently after several decades.

Just how much does the guy love my friend's Mom? When he found out that she got married to my friend's Dad, he did what most straight guys (from that generation?) would do - down several bottles of liquor and hope that the alcohol would make him forget. Months or years after the wedding, when the guy saw that my friend's Mom was pregnant, the thought that came to his head was, "That should've been my child."

Isn't that the sweetest thing? It is, you have to agree. Hehe!

If you're wondering if the guy ever married, he did. He also raised kids. He lost his wife to cancer a couple of years ago, but he had the chance to prepare for the inevitable loss.

And now, several decades after that love which blossomed in high school, the guy is finally with the woman he truly, truly loved. One true love? Possibly. One great love? Maybe.

After my friend told me this story, we were both gushing at how cheesy it was and how rare this kind of a romantic story happens. (In my head, I was already thinking... basta. This post is about my friend's Mom, not the dreams I have in my mind. Hahaha! ;)

You'd think it only happens in the movies, right??? Apparently, not. (Movies can be inspired by real-life stories every now and then, right?! Hehe!)

Definitely one for the books. Definitely pwedeng pang Maalaala Mo Kaya.

1 comment:

  1. Aww ang sweet! I guess if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. I love their story!

    ReplyDelete