Saturday, May 17, 2014

Cheese overload on a Friday night...



Without any concrete plans for tonight and since I can't have a really late night, I decided to catch the 7PM screening of this Thai film at JCube.

I saw the poster for the film when PG Boy and I were at Plaza Sing recently. The poster was enough to pique my curiosity. Haha!

PG Boy is overseas this weekend so I could pretty much plan stuff that I want to do. And I wouldn't have to drag him to watch a cheesy film. Hehe!

I thought the writing of the film was really good. The usual formula is there but somehow, the director and the writer were both able to make the film work. The male lead and the male supporting lead also somehow remind me of Gardo Versoza and Allen Dizon, respectively. (Goes to show how young I am. Haha!)

I was on the edge of my seat as to how the film was going to end. I was quite sure I wasn't the only one because there was always a collective reaction within the cinema. It's just sad that there were only about 20 of us enjoying the film.

Aside from the cheesiness, the other thing I loved about the film was that it brought back memories of two university volunteer programs - Gurong Pahinungod and Summer Immersion Service Program.

The former was a one-year volunteer program whereby university graduates are deployed to rural parts of the Philippines to teach. I dunno if it is still around. I hope so. The latter, on the other hand, was a program I handled for a few summers. It involved deploying university students to remote parts of the country to live with the community, to immerse, to see life outside of the comforts of one's home in the city, to learn outside of the four walls of the university. It's a program deeply close to my heart as it really inculcated in me values which up to now I carry.

In the film, the scenes that showed the countryside, living without electricity, without mobile phone signals, without the Internet, were something that were all too familiar. It really put a smile on my face.

Also, the film further reinforced my love for the countryside.

Overall, The Teacher's Diary was an enjoyable film to watch. I add it to my list of other fave Thai films such as Seven, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Beautiful Boxer, Rainbow Boys, Iron Ladies 1 and 2, and of course, Love of Siam. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment