Saturday, May 17, 2008

Saturday morning with the kiddies...

Saturday morning was spent with the kids of a public elementary school in Pasay, where our company was having it summer reading tutorial program for selected students.

I volunteered to join the group but today was my only first time to attend the session. And it's already the second to the last session. Eeep! I don't feel that guilty though because I have been busy with relatively similar volunteer work - Gawad Kalinga, Gawad Kalinga, Gawad Kalinga. Hehe!

The whole reading tutorials for public school kids isn't really that new to me. When I was still with Pahinungod, I handled the tutorials program where university students volunteer to give classes to students from different public elementary schools.

One school I really remember is the Silahis ng Katarungan Elementary School in Paco. It's a small school and the teacher I coordinated with, Mrs. Lilia Cruz, is a very nice lady and a rare specie of a teacher. She always has a smile on her face, and whenever we'd have our culminating activity for the kids, she'd decorate the venue beautifully with paper cutouts.

Anyway, the activity this morning reminded me of those days. It was great seeing several fellow employees giving up their Saturday mornings for the kids.

Hopefully, next year, I get to attend more sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment