Saturday, May 3, 2008

Godparenting and Iron Man...



I don't know about most people but I take godparenting duties seriously. And for this reason, I don't understand why some people just think that asking someone to be a godparent is like asking someone to go get something from the grocery.

Anyway, when I got home from a recent four-day trip, I was surprised to find an invitation in my bedroom. And on it was written "Ninong Angelo." I've been asked to be a niece's godparent at a baptism.

I wasn't too okay with it. But I didn't want to offend my cousin, so I didn't say no but I didn't go to the baptism either. I decided to go to work that day and had my brother replace me at the baptism. Is that bad? I don't just get it. Why was I chosen to be a godfather when I don't even know the kid. I was asked to be the godfather of a kid I've seen only once since she came into this world. Something's just not right there.

When I have my own kid, I'd want the godparents to really understand that they've been chosen because I trust that they'd be there for my kid, and not because they're an acquaintance or a family friend or an elder relative. Oh well.

This morning, I had another godparenting duty. My nephew Alex was getting the sacrament of Confirmation along with my brother and since Alex needed a godparent, I was volunteered to be a Ninong. For this particular case, I didn't have much hesitation accepting it because I know the kid. I took care of him when he was still a baby. I see him almost every day when I don't come home too late from work. He sleeps over at our house. I know the kid.

From the church, I went to the office to do some work. I made a to-do list and it just kept on going and going. Hay! It's good training I guess. Also, there have been some changes at work, too. We did some reassignments and I've been given more of the company's social projects. I'm no longer just Mr. Gawad Kalinga. I'm also now Mr. Environment and Mr. Disaster. Hehehe. MFIs was taken away from me. This should be exciting.

Afterwards, I went to Gateway and met with Bernice. We watched Iron Man, of course. I wanted to see The Forbidden Kingdom and uhm, ehm, Manay Po 2 (hehe!) but Iron Man was the natural choice. Enjoyed the movie very much. But because my day started quite early, I fell asleep during the part where Tony Stark was held captive. I had to ask Bernice how the battery problem was fixed. Hehe.

Still, it was a good movie.



No comments:

Post a Comment