Friday, January 17, 2014

On volunteering...



Recently, I had an interesting convo with a fellow volunteer.

We were discussing volunteer recruitment matters. I pointed out something to this fellow.

He then told me about this article/research he read about reasons why people volunteer.

The reasons can be one or a combination of the following: 1.) pure altruism, 2.) social network, 3.) escapism, 4.) career advancement, to name a few. There were three more items but he couldn't recall. Lol.

Uhm, it was a bit of a news to me given that I come from a traditional school of thought when it comes to volunteerism.

Up to this day, I still recall my first volunteer experience. It was when I was in Primary 2. We visited an orphanage which was a short walk away. I remember I brought a few toys to share with the other kids.

Back then, I was still too young to understand what I was doing. Lol. Few years later, I started another volunteer commitment. This one lasted me close to seven years. In uni, I was part of a volunteer group. After uni, my first job was with a volunteer organisation. The following jobs saw me in the field of corporate social responsibility, which included a volunteer component.

When I came to SG, one of the first things that I wanted to do was to volunteer with a group. I was blessed to have found one group and I've been with them for close to three years now. (Whoa! Time flies!). Last year, I started another volunteer commitment. This commitment is on its way to its first year. I am planning to volunteer with one more group.

Writing this down, I am amused to realise that volunteering was and continue to be a signficant part of my life.

There are times when I experience internal conflict though. At one point, I would either ask myself my reasons or ask whether there is a fit between the values I believe in and the values/thrust of the group I volunteer with.

I still continue to volunteer though. There is much to be done around, whether it's in the Philippines or surprise, surprise, even in a First World country like Singapore.

A fellow Filipino volunteer I recently chatted with shared his reaction after a few months of volunteering with another group. He said, "I'm surprised, you know. I didn't think that there were similar issues here in Singapore. I've always thought everyone has it good here."

Yet another reason why I believe in volunteering. It is another way of knowing the place where we are in. This makes me remember those times that I've gone to far-flung areas for immersion. The objective was simple: live with the community to understand their way of life. Hopefully, when one returns home, he/she will have an understanding of the need for action, for volunteerism.

There's this quote from St. Francis of Assisi, patron saint of my primary school. Though I've graduated from Grade 6 a looong time ago, I still recall this quote and it continues to be one of my guiding principles in life:

"Brothers, let us begin. Let us begin, for until now we have done little or nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment