Sunday, January 5, 2014

Singapore still surprises...




I had two pleasant "surprises" today.

The first one was a church in the heart of Serangoon Gardens. Though there's a church that is just a few steps away from PG Boy's place, I decided I have to go to a different church today. For the past few Sundays, I have been unable to receive Communion because I haven't been able to go to Confession. In all the churches I've been to around the island, the church near PG Boy's place is the first church I've been to whereby the priest does not give Confession 15 minutes before the Mass.

So today, I woke up early (which is not really difficult for me. Lol!) to go to the Church of St. Francis Xavier at Chartwell Drive. I was planning to take the bus to get there. However, I chose to take a cab when I realised that I might miss confession since it was already 8:15 when I left the house.

I'm glad that I decided to go to St. Francis Xavier's church. The church itself is beautiful. It's not too big. Neither is it too small. Personally, I prefer smaller churches because I feel the atmosphere is more intimate. The service itself was good. The priest gave a good homily, which didn't bore people. There was a beautiful, beautiful Nativity Scene setup which reminded me of the one at Lourdes Church QC (where I served as an altar boy for six plus years! Haha!).

After Mass, Mr. Lim picked me up from church since he lived nearby. Unfortunately, I didn't see his message that he was also free to attend the Mass. Otherwise, I would have told him to hurry up and join me for church.

Anyway, we headed first to the "central" of Serangoon Gardens to buy my black cherry. Mr. Lim was the one who's been getting me my multivits and supplements. At least, now I know where he gets it. If you haven't been to Serangoon Gardens, you'll probably ask if you're still in Singapore if you go there. PG Boy describes the place as a very Aussie neighbourhood. I would describe it as similar to any of the nice gated villages in Manila sans the gate. No towering HDB flats around here. It's mostly (if not purely) landed houses.

After I got my bottles of black cherry, we drove to Bishan Ang Mo Kio Park for a leisurely walk. I thought we wouldn't be going for a walk since I previously told him I was going to Mass. The other thing is that I'm not dressed for a park walk. Lol!

Luckily, the sun was not out today and the Bishan Ang Mo Kio Park does not require trekking clothes. I didn't look out of place in my church clothes. Haha!

It's my first time to that park and I thought it was very beautiful. How lucky are the people living in the area to have easy access to such a lovely park.

We came across Grub, a brunch place I've been meaning to try. Unfortunately, Mr. Lim told me there was no need to bring money nor our wallets. Ergo, no money, no brunch.

Our park walk concluded with lunch together with one of his friends. We went to one of the bak kut teh paces along Balestier. I tapau'd food for PG Boy and then Mr. Lim dropped me off at PG Boy's place. Nice Sunday.

A description of Singapore so often heard is that it's a very small island. True, I suppose. Though I've been living here for close to three years now, one thing I really love is that there are still several occasions when I am pleasantly surprised by "new discoveries" around the little red dot.

Church of St Francis Xavier
3A Chartwell Drive, Singapore 558758

Bihan-Ang Mo Kio Park
Along Bishan Road and Ang Mo Kio Ave 1

No comments:

Post a Comment