Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The most unique HS graduation...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yesterday afternoon, I was lucky enough to tag along with some people at work to the graduation of the Philippine High School for the Arts at UP Los Baños.

I have to say it was the most unique graduation I've ever attended. (Well, the only HS graduations I attended were mine and I think my brothers. Hehe!) Still, the location, the program, the guests at the PHSA graduation were more than enough to make it a really unique one.

All the graduates were dressed in elaborate Filipiniana clothing. The younger classes were also dressed in Filipiniana, while there were those who wore what look like a formal school uniform. For, the opening prayer, the "Our Father" was beautifully sung by a graduate. It was so beautiful that it felt like being at a concert. For the intermission, two students did a fantastic violin-piano duet.

While the students are extremely talented and gifted with skills for the arts, it wasn't difficult to see that they are still the usual teenagers. After the ceremony, the students probably realized that they would soon be parting ways and knowing that led to tight group hugs, tears rolling down the cheeks, and promises to stay in touch with each other.

There was so much idealism, so much enthusiasm, so much positive atmosphere at the venue. It was really refreshing. Hehe!

I've been to PHSA before for a friend's wedding, and I've read about the school before. So given the fact that I do love the arts, I'm intrigued by the school.

How are classes conducted? What's the school environment like? How is it like living away from home? Are any of the teachers National Artists? (I can't help but imagine. I'm in the visual arts program, and on the first day of classes, Anita Magsaysay-Ho walks in to give a lecture on egg tempera techniques. That would be a way cool experience!!!)

In a previous entry, I said that I think that I would want my kid to be educaetd by the Jesuits. After having been to PHSA and being fortunate enought to get a glimpse of the student life there, I think I'd want my kid to also go there. Hehehe!

No comments:

Post a Comment