Monday, April 28, 2008

Raise the Praise for Altar Boyz...


Thanks to colleague/friend Reena, I got tickets to Altar Boyz, which had its final performance at Onstage Greenbelt 1yesterday. I asked Carlo if he was interested to watch it, and I'm glad that he was free to go with me.

The gist of the musical? Think Backstreet Boys or 'N Sync gone Gospel/Pop.

The musical revolves around five young hearththrobs - Matthew, Mark, Luke, Juan and Abraham - collectively known as Altar Boyz, who are traveling around the world with a mission to save souls (and if it is God's plan) make it to MTV as a Christian boy band. The entire show is Raise the Praise concert and throughout, the boys sing a good mix of songs. You got ballads, pop, rap, soul. Together with their dance moves, you got the . I can't help but be amazed at how the boys were able to bust the moves and sing praises for the Mighty One without panting or fainting. Hehe! Ah, the magic of youth I guess. Hehe!

Music and lyrics by Gary Adler and Michael Patrick Walker. Book by Kevin del Aguila. Directing the Manila performance is Chari Arespacochaga, so I was quite certain that it was going to be a must-see theatrical performance! Congrats Chari!!!

These guys sing sweet serenades, flirt, and bust out jaw dropping hip hop moves – all while praising the Lord! And, they’re all set to rock out masses of all denominations right here in Manila.

Uhm, I liked all of the songs but I guess what would be most relevant to my work would be "The Calling." See part of the lyrics below: Haha!

Jesus called me on my cell phone(Jesus called me on my cell phone)
No roaming charges were incurred (ooooo)
He told me that I should go out in the world
And (ahh) spread His glorious word (word)

Way to go, Altar Boyz!

No comments:

Post a Comment