Saturday, June 14, 2008

Finally, tourist for an hour in Cebu...


Finally, I was able to do something touristy in Cebu.

Aimee and I arrived in Cebu at 6AM. From the airport, we took a cab to her house where we had a good breakfast. I had frice rice and danggit. Yum! Afterwards, since we had about an hour to spare before work for the day began, Aimee brought me to one of the most popular landmarks in Cebu - the Basilica of the Sto. Niño.

There I saw the much-venerated Sto. Niño and a line of devotees patiently waiting for their turn to be in front of the child Jesus. That was the Sto. Niño that is brought out during the Grand Parade of the Sinulog Festival every January.

The other thing that amazed me was the retablo. It was fantastic. It was grand. It was to be adored. I don't know but I really find myself drawn to old churches and the old altars. Hehe! When we went to Iloilo, I was just in awe of the beautiful architecture of all the old churches.

On the side of the church was the courtyard. It kind of reminded me of Fr. Blanco's garden in Intramuros.

And then just oustide at the rear of the church is Magellan's Cross, the very cross Ferdinand magellan planted on Philippine shores in 1521 when he claimed the country for Prince Philip.

That's it. Maybe next time I visit Cebu, I'd get to see the beach. Haha!

For now, I'm happy that I've seen something other than the hotel, the airport and our Visayas office.

No comments:

Post a Comment