Monday, June 9, 2008

The healer of the flesh now heals souls...



Last week, I got an email from a friend in the US. He was in town. Jo is a fellow Pahinungod volunteer whom I met several years ago. I was new to Pahinungod and he was one of the seasoned volunteers. Uhm, I think we got to go on a couple of volunteer activities like immersion and a couple of medical missions.

He left for the US not too long ago to do some post-graduate studies on human genetics. A doctor by profession, he surprised us all when he emailed that he was going to enter the seminary. He did, and last May 10, my friend the doctor was ordained to priesthood.

From healing the weary body, Jo decided to move on to healing the weary soul. I was happy for him.

Yesterday, I went to Sacred Heart church in Kamagong and waited for the 5PM Mass. Fr. Jo was officiating. It was surreal seeing him up on the altar dressed in a chausible, a stole, saying Mass, but I was happy for him. I thought he'd be giving the homily, but I was slightly disappointed when after he read the Gospel, the other priest made his way to the lecturn. After the Mass, parents and kids approached Jo.

I stayed on my seat and he approached me and joked, "Kamusta po?" It was good seeing the guy. From church, we went to the mall. Dinner at Tokyo Tokyo followed by coffee and a good chat at Gloria Jean's (again).

He's leaving for the US on the 23rd. His assignment will be in some town named Muscatine in Iowa. I'm not sure when I'll see the guy again, but it feels good to know that there's one person praying for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment