Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Some thoughts on the "ick" factor...


The ick factor. First heard on SATC. I read somewhere that "ick" originally referred to something overly sweet and sentimental. But the meaning changed to something that one doesn't like. (Because it's overly sweet? Hehe! I dunno.) For this post, we'll use the original meaning of that word.

Over a stick of cigarette, some girl friends and I were talking about the weight of the "ick" factor in dating and relationships. One friend was saying that it is important, especially when two people are just starting to date. Another friend was saying that she's already accepted the fact that men aren't programmed to be icky. Hmmm, I wonder if that also applies to the people in my team. Hehe!

Uhm, I dunno but I'd like to think that deep inside, I am cheesy. (Or maybe ask...? Haha!) I mean I enjoy giving little gifts, or writing thoughtful notes, or sometimes making a fool of myself if it means getting one to laugh. And to a certain point, I'd like the (non-existent) other half to be icky as well, at least to a certain point. I mean, c'mon. Who wouldn't want to be surprised with a cheesy text, especially when you're having a bad day? Or whose heart wouldn't want to skip a beat every now and then because he/she is told something mundane but sincerely sweet? Hehe!

Hmmm, I guess I'd say that the "ick" factor matters to me, for the simple reason that it gives one an amount of reassurance that the person is or still is into him/her.

I think that that small "ick" factor is the thing that distinguishes one's relationship from all the other existing relationships of a person. A friend was saying, "I know my closest friend could do the sweetest gesture. And of course, I'd appreciate it but it's different because it's a friend. When the one doing the ick thing is a potential other half, it's completely different. My heart races. And as corny as this may sound, I love the "kilig" feeling."

I had to agree.

Cue theme music... in this case, Breathe's How Can I Fall. Haha!

Alright, you can go ahead now and throw up.

No comments:

Post a Comment